Monday, March 15, 2010

Agree In The Lord

“Therefore, my brothers, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved. I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life” (Phil 4.1-3).

There are many parallels between this passage and the one found in chapter 2.1-4. In chapter 2 Paul encourages them all to be of the same mind and spirit. He desires that they be in full accord. Chapter 4 may reveal why he emphasized these issues so much in the letter. Two women are at odds with one another, and their personal issues are affecting the work of the church.

Sometimes personal issues can influence our spiritual fellowship in Christ. Whatever disagreement these women had, it was causing them to not “agree in the Lord” as well. It is a terrible thing when we allow personal issues to influence things that are so much more important. When we follow Paul’s instructions in chapter 2 personal feelings and opinions will not become the center of disputes: “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but In humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others” (Phil 2.3-4). Rather than create problems over petty issues, we must save moments of contention for the times that really matter; for example, disagreements on the doctrine of Christ. Studying these issues will make us stronger. Fighting over opinions and feelings will devour us (Gal 5.13-15).

No comments: